This was a surprisingly good creation from the limited contents of my fridge! I got the inspiration for the spices from this very different spiced mackerel recipe.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 4 new potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tin mackerel (125g), drained and broken up with a fork
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
2. Meanwhile, dry fry the cumin, coriander and chilli in a large frying pan or wok for about 1 minute until the spices start to release their aroma.
3. Add the olive oil, carrot and leek to the spices and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Then add a splash of boiling water to steam the vegetables. When the water has all evaporated, add another splash and continue until the carrot and leek are cooked.
4. Add the potatoes, mackerel and lemon juice. Heat through and serve.
One of these days I will remember to take photos! :)